IoT platforms – The central backbone for the Internet of Things
Companies that want to take advantage of IoT need solutions to manage data and interact with customers. Learn about IoT platforms and how to choose the right one for your connected product or service.
At a glance:
As the Internet of Things (IoT) begins transforming businesses, economies and society, IoT platforms are emerging as the central backbone in the overall IoT infrastructure. In this study we examine the current landscape of IoT platforms, how they work and the main aspects to consider when choosing a platform provider.
In this study you will learn:
- Why IoT will create a $11 trillion business opportunity
- How IoT platforms work and the modules they incorporate
- How an IoT platform operates smart washing machines for an electronics retailer (use case)
- Whether to make or buy an IoT platform
- In the next five years, IoT platforms will manage the interoperability of around 25 billion newly connected devices and
their ~44 zettabytes of generated data.
- Besides basic device connectivity and data storage, advanced platforms encompass (among other things): device
management, action management, analytics, and integration with external interfaces.
- The IoT platform market is expected to grow 35% per annum and attain a size of $1.16B by 2020.
- More than three hundred IoT platforms are available today, most of them are relatively new and often still under
development. They differ by technological depth, segment-focus, and technology implementation offering.
- By outsourcing the IoT platform development, companies can benefit from a ~50% shorter implementation cycle and
the assurance of working with IoT experts.