SPS Fair 2022—the latest industrial automation trends
51-page PDF presenting a comprehensive summary of the key highlights and 20 in-depth insights assembled by the IoT Analytics analyst team at SPS Fair 2022. These insights are based on >75 booth visits, >50 individual interviews, and attendance of several presentations. 3 analysts were present for a total of 6 days.
- Software is coming to the edge. One of the most dominant themes at this year’s SPS was the myriad of edge platforms and software updates making their way to the edge.
- Adoption of wireless connectivity technology. The adoption of wireless technologies within Industrial connectivity was clearly visible at SPS 2022. Key examples include IO-Link wireless, new LPWA gateways enabling the sensor to the cloud, and Siemens manufacturing their own 5G private network infrastructure.
- More powerful hardware. One of the constant themes at every SPS is new and upgraded controllers, gateways, and IPCs.
- IT/OT convergence is in full swing. We came across several examples of IT tools making their way into OT. Many companies showcased the adoption of IT-based containerization technology at the edge, the adoption of low-code tools, or the interoperability of a platform in the cloud with another one at the edge.
- More virtual PLCs. In recent years we have seen companies making cautious first steps away from pure hardware-based PLCs to software-based PLCs.
Further insights can be found in the report with relevant examples/proof-points.
This report includes:
- 20 in-depth insights with examples/proof-points and interview highlights.
- Summary & Key Highlights (General impressions, exhibitor sentiment, most dicussed tech topics, most eye-catching exhibits)
- Hardware Insights (Industrial automation hardware, gateways, edge gateways, industrial setups).
- Connectivity Insights (OPC-UA, MQTT, wireless technology for data flows, ethernet chipsets, single-pair ethernet, hybrid single-pair ethernet, private 5G)
- Software Insights (Edge device and application management software, PLC programming tools, true virtual PLCs, digital twin, cloud-native tools, cybersecurity)
- Use cases/Customer Insights (Purchasing behaviors, VR, sustainability, machine vision)